Eileen Tabios (still on list?)

has a blog post I've been thinking about -- basically, why are many entrants of a poetry prize she is judging already winners of poetry prizes --

and it seems obvious that those are the people best able to see how valuable a poetry prize is, OR, are the least likely to have done the types of poetry community work and researching to know the presses and editors to submit over the transom

and I think part of my answer to that question is important because when I was thinking it, it occurred to me that -- dud -- of course a prize is better, because it gives people outside the specialty on a hiring committee, or grant committee, or whatever, a sense of peer review, a sense that this is work that is somehow "approved"

b/w the "I hate chapbooks" thing, then, self publishing is the *opposite* of prize-winning.

Comments

Popular Posts