reposting some books and CDs on amazon

CUBE, David Morrow Guthrie, Princeton Architectural Press

Got this when I was trying to review more coffee table books. It is a book about cubes - a special project or theme book - various and sundry students and colleagues of the editor (apparently) requested to do a cube for the topic / book. Sort of like a theme issue for a zine. Basically, the sudents, rather than making models ("abstractions" from the opening essay) coolaborated to *actually make* a cube. I think.

What this project immediately reminded me of was my balsa wood cube for space, image, and imagination, my trinity college freshman seminar. I got a ridiculously low score despite designing a fabo cube which was not only bauhaus in appearance but also aerodynamic. Teacher (Elizabeth Tracy) who put the kaibosh on my studio art major also had no sense of this sort of design. Anyway. THE CUBE.

Step 1. Using 2 x 4s and mechanical-only (not glues) connectors, construct a frame with outside dimension 16 x 16 x 16.

Step 2. 16 x 16 x 16 from + skin of gypsum board, drywall compound, etc. --

Step 3. Solid cube using 2 materials. Also 16 x 16 x 16.

Comments

Popular Posts