You might be interested in talking to Andrew Joron, an accomplished poet who started writing by writing speculative SF and SF poetry, and then began writing "real" for lack of a better word poetry. I for one have tried to get some of my work appropriate to the genres (SF, Fantasy, graphic novels, erotica, etc.) that way, but haven't met with too much success yet. Maybe the hello kitty poem!

It may interest you to know that many of the female experimental poets in San Francisco experimented with writing erotica and Laura Chester, a Black Sparrow and Sun and Moon-published poet, edited an anthology of this work back when I was in my MFA program.

It may also interest you to know that there is a previous generation of San Francisco female poets who also wrote sf/fantasy/erotica poetry, including Lenore Kandel. I for one (although I never got off my duff -- too many other obligations, blah, blah, but mostly not wanting to throw money at the problem randomly, but instead wisely) wanted to start a print on demand press -- I set it up as a business -- i.e. press -- with the idea of publishing collaborations and mixed media/graphic/experimental poetry in an 8 1/2 x 11 black and white format -- paperback and laminated -- with full color covers.

In any case, Lenore Kandel, whose work compares to Michael McClure's in many respects, is forgotten, and there is a female artist who collaborated with Jack Spicer, and there's always, of course not female, Jess.

Comments

Popular Posts