Dear Dr. Charles Bennett:



I am unable to commit to reading at Ledbury. I’m terribly sorry, but I do not feel in a stable enough job or housing situation to accomplish the trip, even though thanks to your letter (for grant writing) and familial support, I can defray some of the cost.



I genuinely regret not being able to support the festival, my publisher, and my own writing by reading at Ledbury (and in London and Scotland) as planned.



Do you want anything listed for an affiliation?
Could you suggest a title for your paper?
Will you be requiring any equipment for your presentation?
Could you send us either a c.v. or a brief description of your work that we can give to the chair of your session to draw upon in making introductions?
We are putting together a proposal for a collection of selected essays to be published and will be submitting this proposal in early February; would you be willing for your paper to be considered for inclusion?
A tentative programme will soon be sent out, and also available on the conference website (www.poetryconference.stir.ac.uk) and a registration form is attached to this email (you should be able to open it in Microsoft Word, but let me know if there are problems). Preliminary information about registration is given on the form, but this will be supplemented as plans are finalised. The completed registration form should be posted to Glennis Byron, Poetry and Sexuality Conference, Department of English Studies, University of Stirling, Stirling, Scotland, FK9 4LA. The deadline for registration and payment of registration fee is 1 April 2004.
Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you here at Stirling.
All the best,
Glennis Byron
Angela Smith
Andrew Sneddon




-----Original Message-----
From: Catherine Daly
To: poetryconference@stir.ac.uk
Sent: 16/01/2004 18:43
Subject: Query Regarding Abstracts, Poetry & Sexuality Conference
Dear Andrew Sneddon, Dr. Glennis Byron, Prof. Angela Smith:
I have just read your extended call for abstracts for papers and talks for the Poetry & Sexuality conference in Stirling this coming July. I will be in Ledbury for the Poetry Festival a few days after the P&S conference close.
I am primarily a poet, but am also an independent scholar. However, the strongest connection to the conference theme, "Poetry & Sexuality," is through my creative work, not my scholarship. In particular, the long poem "Palm Anthology" in my book _DaDaDa_ (Salt Publishing, 2003) "ties together" erotic fragments from the Greek Anthology using semes derived from the personal digital assistant with wireless (Tesla coil) capability (i.e., my Palm VII) while maintaining their "wireless" communicability.
I would love to have the opportunity to deliver a talk about this poem, as well as read quite small portions of it (understanding the 20 minute time limit) which illustrate the relationship between the body, fragment, other poetry, technology, and media, that I attempt to establish. It is one of the few poems written for Palm OS, but also it is not currently available to scholars outside the print version in my
book.
Some section titles are commands derived from D/s computer chat games, so that they bring forward ways in which literature and technology is and isn't subservient to human "domination." Other sections are titled with palm markup (a sort of "html lite") tags. Since my palm has wireless connectivity, i.e., it uses a tesla coil, there are many references to tesla coil / violent wand -- thus to another set of
technologically-mediated sexual practices. In the poems, the bodies
are arranged into completed circuits or are short-circuited.

Comments

Popular Posts