First paragraph. Begin with a simple statement of why you do the work you do. Support that statement, telling the reader more about your goals and aspirations.


content - form

Since I am largely a poet as part of my "being in the world" to be existentialist about it, or to be humanist about it, since I am a poet with authority limited by reality, the content of my work is basic and localized, in that it is what I am thinking, experiencing, learning at the time of its writing. It answers the five w and one h question. The form of my work is various and derived from the content and the writing process, rather than enforced from outside the content, yet this form is generally in service of assembling a work, and sometimes the driving idea behind a work is a formal one.

subject - object

universal - specific

i don't know if I want to structure this opening para. off a duality tho

Second paragraph. Tell the reader how you make decisions in the course of your work. How and why do you select materials, techniques, themes? Keep it simple and tell the truth.

I select materials and techniques because they seem likely to yield the results I am seeking. I select materials and techniques according to my concept; then, in the end, in commenting, it is difficult for me to get beyond the materials and techniques I used to explain why I used them, because by that time it seems blatantly obvious. An example of this would be my cooking poems; it seems obvious to want to use -- to bring forward as an important source -- women's writing in cookbooks, because this is a practically untouched area of women's craft and thinking to be dealing with -- and to apply techniques from cooking to the poems also seems obvious to me, not only because they are the perhaps female source of techniques now branded "oulipo" such as "larding" -- oh dear, I have drifted from the artistic statement. To use materials and techniques which have meaning to produce a result which has the same meaning is to seek a unity of content and form which makes the opposition or duality of such a formulation fall away and the poem / point shine.

Third paragraph. Tell the reader a little more about your current work. How it is grew out of prior work or life experiences. What are you exploring, attempting, challenging by doing this work.

how would current work not grow out of past work

my current work continues to press my assumptions about poetry, writing poetry, and the world to see what gives

for example, writing two nights ago -- working from notes for the reformation book -- the idea that the reFORMation is about giving the opportunity to establish authority back to the individual is obviously having as much an effect on this statement writing as the conference panel proposal

Good for the Imperial Highway project!

from dirt

1) between minimalism and politics? What are its applications in

my politics isn't minimalist, I would think libertarianism is minimalist; the only aspect could be 'keep national politics out of religious politics' and 'keep public politics out of private politics' except that I favor public funding for medical

2) is more important: minimal length or minimal substance?

is is more important to be clear and concise than to be minimal

3) minimalism in the real world. Cite specific examples or
4) the animal kingdom, what would it
5) in the year 2100.

is minimalism futuristic? maybe
is it essentialism? no

6) say about our culture? Is the form reactionary or progressive; is it

more likely to be reactionary or progressive; minimalism is not the status quo

7) subversive?

Comments

Popular Posts